Sudden Memory

It has been nearly ten years since I kicked gluten out of my life. For the most part, I don't miss it. If one thing tempts me, though, it's the thought of a pepperoni pizza with fresh tomatoes from the Wazee Supper Club in lower downtown Denver. My dear friend and former coworker Larry introduced me to the Wazee, and I visited often. This evening, I thought of my long-ago haunt while Dennis, Henry, Sam and I were enjoying some hot spaghetti sauce with mozzarella cheesesticks and tortilla chips. The fresh tomatoes on the counter sealed the deal.

Photos taken 3/16/13

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh goodness, this post made me want to run to the kitchen for a late night snack! Did you choose gluten-free because of an allergy? Just curious, I'm always interested in food & nutrition.
Cheryl Ruffing said…
When I was 34, after about a week from digestive hell, I figured out that I have celiac disease (an autoimmune response to gluten). A great deal of research and looking back on my life made me realize that my self-diagnosis explained a lot of ongoing health issues. When I finally got tested for celiac diease, the result was negative, but I had been off gluten for 6 months, and even though the doctor was unaware that a patient needed to be consuming gluten for accurate test results, I knew better. Anyway, I'm now so sensitive that just touching wheat flour makes me sick.

My husband was diagnosed with celiac disease six years ago, and all the kids went gluten-free a year later. The positive changes in health and behavior were pretty stunning.

Now, a number of our family members are gluten-free, many after a celiac diagnosis. Perhaps the most dramatic change took place in an autistic nephew after just five days on a gluten-free, casein-free diet.
Unknown said…
Wow, thanks Cheryl. That is such helpful information. My little girl was recently diagnosed with Autism and I have wondered about changing her diet. Its so hard because she has so few foods she will actually eat. I think I will talk to her doctor about it. Thanks for all the information!
Cheryl Ruffing said…
You're welcome, Amber. If you still have my email address, write to me, and I'll send you more information/links.
Unknown said…
That would be great, I will look for your email & send you a message. Thanks again!

Popular Posts