It didn't take long for the kids to realize that my new couch generates lots of static electricity. Luke, Sam and Henry have taken full advantage of this phenomenon to shock everyone within range. One day, though, they got creative. Here are pictures of Sam, conducting one of their "experiments." First, he charges up by rubbing his head against the back of the couch; then, with shoes or boots on -- important for holding in the charge, he trots across my studio and kitchen to the refrigerator; once there, he braces himself, sticks out his tongue, touches the refrigerator with it, screams and laughs. One of these days, I'll do some research of my own, by typing into Google, "Can taste buds be destroyed by electric shocks to the tongue?"